IO-Link product range
IO-Link is a new, innovative and standardized communication standard for sensors and actuators - defined by PROFIBUS International (PI). The IO-Link technology is based on a point-to-point connection of sensors and actuators to the controller. It is not a bus system but it considerably enhances the conventional point-to-point connection. In addition to the cyclic operating data, comprehensive parameter and diagnostics data are transferred for the connected sensors/actuators. The same 3-wire connecting cable as currently used for standard sensors is used.
Components of an IO-Link system:
Only 2 components are required for using IO-Link:
- IO-Link master
- IO-Link device (e.g. IO-Link sensor/actuator, IO-Link I/O module)
Compatibility of IO-Link
IO-Link ensures the compatibility between IO-Link-capable and standard modules as follows:
- IO-Link sensors/actuators can be operated both on IO-Link modules (master) and on standard I/O modules.
- Both IO-Link sensors/actuators as well as current standard sensors/actuators can be used on IO-Link modules (master).
- If conventional components are used in the IO-Link system, naturally only the standard functions are available in this case.
Expansion by IO-Link I/O modules
The compatibility of IO-Link also permits the connection of standard sensors/actuators, i.e. conventional sensors/actuators can also be connected to IO-Link. This can be implemented especially cost-effectively with IO-Link I/O modules that permit the connection of several sensors/actuators to the controller via one cable.
Another advantage of the IO-Link technology is that analog signals are immediately digitized in the IO-Link sensor and then digitally transferred via the IO-Link communication. This avoids interferences and additional overhead due to cable shields is omitted.
Integration in STEP 7
Integration of the device configuration in the STEP 7 environment ensures
- Easy and quick engineering
- Consistent data management
- Quick locating and clearing of faults
Thus productivity is increased in all phases of the plant's life cycle - configuration, commissioning and operation. With the Siemens IO-Link solution, even sensors and actuators below the fieldbus level are optimally integrated with their complete performance capability in the Totally Integrated Automation (TIA) environment.